Friday, September 19, 2014

Giraffe Birthday

Someone asked for a birthday card with a giraffe for a three-year-old. I only have one giraffe stamp, so I tried to mix it up a little. When you see this, it will explain much about me:



If this is "mixed up", then it tells you how really boring I can be. Though I will admit you don't often see pink or orange giraffes. Purple yes, but not pink or orange.

I used my MFT Peek-A-Boo Trio die to cut the vertical panel, and I cut it four times -- three out of white and once from a piece of SU Specialty Paper from The Heaplet. It's yellow-ish and has clouds printed on it. I thought that would work for a giraffe with the long neck and all.

The die cuts out the whole piece, leaving strips of card stock on each side. I layered these on top of a blue-green remnant.

For the top two giraffes, I stamped them on left-over circles from cutting the layers (so I knew they'd fit), and I stamped the bottom giraffe on white and fussy-cut him. After I colored them, the top two were stuck down inside the openings, and the bottom one was tucked between a few of the layers. There is foam adhesive and a few glue dots holding up his neck and head.

I can't leave well enough alone, so I covered the horns/antlers with glue from my SU 2-way glue pen (best pen I've found for holding flock) and pressed in some SU brown flock. That stuff has to be 10 years old, at least.

I stamped the sentiment in Memento Luxe black and clear-embossed it.  I rounded the corners of the panel, and mounted the whole thing on an SU Naturals White base.

For my last act, I went over the eyes and lashes with a black glaze pen, because I could. I figured a three-year-old would enjoy some tactile elements, and hopefully the embossing and flock will serve to entertain, if only for a few seconds.

I hope this passes muster. If not, you'll see my next attempt at "mixing it up". :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: sentiment by Inky Antics, SU Specialty card stock (Slumber Party, I think), SU Naturals White card stock, SU brown flock, SU 2-way gel pen, SU mini glue dots, vat of clear embossing powder, and the following:



4 comments:

  1. Absolutely silly and giggly and precious. Wonderful card for a three-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of thought went into the making of this card and the three year old will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea of mixed up works for me. This is a fun card, but speak for yourself. We don't see purple giraffes in this part... plaid ones yes, but not pink, purple and orange. Y'all are weird.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)