Tuesday, June 17, 2014

SOS #156: Oldest Punch or Die

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to dig out your oldest punch or die and use it to make a card or other crafty project.

This one was quite an adventure for me. I decided that I'd use punches, since they pre-date my dies, but since most of my punches were in a box in the craft room annex, I took the opportunity to P U R G E. I did! Remember I told you if anything was still in a box this summer it was getting sold? Well, I haven't used punches in forever, so I took that as a sign I didn't need them any more. Our Yard Sale is scheduled for August 2nd, so I emptied the box into four piles: Sell, Keep, Give to Tina, and Use Then Sell.

The Sell pile was happily the largest one. I'm giving two punches to my pal Tina, who would actually use them. The Keep pile was quite small, and I'm so proud. The Use Then Sell pile had the three punches I used on today's card:


Recognize that paper? Yeah, still working on it...

So, the first of the three punches was my Fiskars Threading Water border punch, and I'm happy to say I remembered how to line it up so the ends came out mostly even. :)  The other two were some folk-art hearts I bought a bazillion years ago, probably two of the first punches I ever purchased.

But my MAJOR coup here was the use of my Fiskars Texture Plates. I know, I know, this is a punch challenge, but seriously, those texture plates pre-date embossing folders. I even have the rubber gaskets and printed sandwich instructions for the Cuttlebug. Here's a close-up of the detail from the texture plate I used:


I've decided to keep the texture plates - I'll file them with my embossing folders, but I'm putting the punches in the Sell pile for the yard sale.

I've emptied a huge box from the craft annex, and it feels soooooo good.  If any of you will be near southwestern Ohio on Aug 2nd, let me know and I'll give you directions to the yard sale. Much crafty goodness will be there, plus all sorts of other things.

So, got some dust on your punches? Or do you have an ancient die that needs some love? I think you should play along at SOS this week!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Hero Arts Trees, Birds and Messages clear stamp set (can't find it anywhere online - it's pretty old), MAMBI paper remnants, Folk Heart punches, cardstock vellum, vat of clear embossing powder, and the following:




4 comments:

  1. Ha! I have that same border punch! Why did I think I NEEDED another scallop border punch?? Because this one has holes in the scallops...sheeesh...
    Your card is fab, I love the colours, the hearts, the sentiment, the texture plate - all of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that border punch years ago until it broke! If I remember correctly, all of my Fiskars punches bit the dust shortly after I purchased them! Congrats on your successful purge! I do love the hearts on your pretty card! They're great accents for that fabulous embossed panel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one fabulous card! Oh and yes I do remember punches...long before dies were affordable. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have that punch but I think it lives with someone else now, courtesy of the used stamp sale last month. Love that card!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)