Friday, August 2, 2013

Thinking Of You

The current challenge over at A Blog Named Hero is Recycle, Reuse. How did they know I had spent some time last weekend re-packaging some stamp sets, and I'd saved a piece of cool scalloped packaging to use on a card? HOW DID THEY KNOW? Well, as I checked out the DT projects, I kinda got an idea from Linda's card and I knew what had to be done, and it didn't involve the scalloped packaging. However, I did recycle stuff, so let's take a look at that card, shall we?


I'm a little bit proud of how this turned out. :) When I saw the window on Linda's card, I thought it would be great to use with the new mini cloud dies I have. I cut a bunch of the Small Madison Windows from scrap white card stock and that's where the recycling comes in. Look at the other side of the white scraps:


Several years ago I bought a calendar kit, and I rediscovered it in one of my cleaning fits reorganizing moments. It was still in the original packaging ... so sad. Since we all know there are two sides to every piece of card stock, they became windows. (The blue dots are liquid glue.)

I knew I wanted to sandwich a piece of acetate between two of the windows, because I didn't want the acetate to be the bottom layer ... gotta have room for the tiny clouds! I started with five windows, but by the time I was done I had more like ten. It was out of control. Check it out:


The last layer on top was because I managed to smear black ink onto the finished window. Easy fix! Peel off the cat and add another window - no problem!

The sky/sunset was made by swiping my still-out (duh) Memento Luxe inks over a piece of white card stock, and I wasn't even careful about it, because the sky isn't perfect. I stuck the clouds down, then stuck the colored piece to the back of the window stack. In case you're wondering, I did split the middle cloud so the window piece would lie flat. That took about 20 minutes of my life to get the pieces lined up correctly with the window. Seriously.

I stamped the sentiment (from Hero Arts) in Versafine ink and clear-embossed it.

After the whole thing was assembled, and pre-schmear, I decided the window needed a cat, so I broke out my never-opened Poppy Stamps die and used it here. He's three die-cuts thick because that window needed to be thicker. I had to put a piece of 1/8" Sookwang tape under his bottom and a piece of Kool Tak between his tummy and the acetate to make him stay in place. In truth, he also distracts the eye from a piece of fluff I managed to trap between the acetate and the sunset piece. Hey, I don't do windows, okay?

One of the by-products from die-cutting all those windows is a pile of about 40 perfect rectangles from the window panes. I sense another recycle/reuse project coming this weekend. Maybe I'll even incorporate that packaging I saved to use on a card. Could happen.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: VLVS clear embossing powder and the following:



6 comments:

  1. Oh Leslie, you do my heart good every time I read one of your posts. You are a riot, albeit a creative riot! Your card is perfect after all you went through to make it that way. It was worth every minute you spent putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is great, love the background. I laughed at your story, which made me feel better. That's how I work every time! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! At last, a good use for the window die, and that adorable cat, too. I can see those Luxe inks in my future - and it's all your fault! Well, and Jennifer McGuire's fault, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous card- one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and once again I wonder if we were separated at birth? The series of 'oh (s)crap' moments while crafting really clinch it.
    I LOVE the sky - gorgeous! - and the cat. And that there's fluff, because honestly, I think there's pet hair stuck to everything I make.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)