Saturday, August 3, 2013

Polka Dot Birthday

The current challenge at The Friday Mash-Up is:

And the Mash-up Challenge is:
  1. Create a project with Polka Dots.
  2. Create a project using the word Happy.
  3. Or Mash it Up and create a project with Polka Dots & the word Happy on it.
I, of course, had to do both. When I saw the car, I knew immediately I needed to use the car image from an old (but still available) There She Goes stamp set to make this:


Believe it or not, I couldn't find any pink polka dot paper (!) so I had to make my own. I stamped the car onto a piece of pink paper from the Basic Grey Fiction 12x12 pack (I will never run out) and fussy-cut it, including the windshield. 

The photo frame is a Lil' Inker die. I took out the rectangle and colored it with Distress Tumbled Glass before I stuck on the car, then I stuck them both down to another piece of (gah) pink paper from the same pack. (and now that piece of pink is gone).

The Retro sentiment is from the GinaK So Groovy stamp set, and I would have stopped there, but the challenge said to use the word "happy", so I added that to the bottom right corner. To fill in the empty from the angled photo frame, I added a few paper flowers from my stash. 

When I was all done, I went back with my white gel pen and added the dots to the car. I like to live dangerously.

One note: When you stamp an image onto (gah) pink paper, the whole thing comes out pink, including the parts you don't want pink. In this case, I'm talking about the windshield, tires and the headlights. I cut out the windshield with a craft knife, and I declared the tires to be dark enough -- didn't want to lose their nice texture by coloring over them and probably messing it up. 

That left me with the headlights:


I took a cotton swab, dipped it into some Memories Unicorn pigment ink, and dabbed it onto the lights. I think it colored them just enough. You can see where I, um, "slipped", on the left one. For my last trick I went around the lights with a silver gel pen.

This was fun! I'm going back in to see what else I can cook up today.

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: There She Goes ROFL Taglines, GinaK So Groovy, Basic Grey Fiction 12x12 paper, misc white card stock, SU brad, misc paper flowers, a cotton swab, an Oxford comma, and the following:



3 comments:

  1. Love it! Amazing job with the pink paper and tying everything together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Great job with the fussy cutting, too. I would not even attempt that. The white gel pen dots are a good idea for making one's own polka dotted paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card! I love the polaroid layout for the card's theme... perfect choice! Thanks for joining the Friday Mashup this week.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)