Thursday, August 15, 2013

ABNH - Vellum Challenge


Hi there! It's the 15th of the month, so it's time for a new challenge at A Blog Named Hero! This time our theme is Vellum:



For my card, I tried to make a window, sorta. I love the hexagon circle die from Simon Says Stamp, and I may or may not be into neon these days, so here's my card, then I'll explain:

It's dark, but no glare. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

I've used vellum in two ways here. First, the obvious one: the sentiment banner. I stamped the sentiment in Versamark onto white cardstock-weight vellum and embossed it with white embossing powder. You want to use the cardstock-weight vellum for this, since the thinner vellum will curl. Ask me how I know.

I think we've already established that vellum and I are not on speaking terms, so I chose to wrap the vellum strip around to the back of the layer to secure it. I put some Kool Tak (clear) dimensional adhesive under the thick embossed letters to hold it down more. It's kinda floaty, but very secure.

The second vellum usage here is to tone down the neon. I ran my yellow neon dauber over a piece of white card stock and put it behind the hexagon circle to see how it looked. It was blinding. I knew I didn't want the hexagons over white, so I put a piece of vellum (paper weight, not card stock weight) over the inked circle and it toned it down A LOT! Lookie:



Here you can see the bright yellow hexagon and the paler yellow background. I used the same ink for both; the vellum layer really softens the color. You can also see my goth-like embossing job. Sigh.

Now it's your turn. Come on over to A Blog Named Hero and play along with our vellum challenge!

Thanks, as always, to our fabulous sponsor:



One lucky crafter who links up to our challenge will win a $25 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp to purchase some new toys.



Thanks for stopping by!


Products used: Neat & Tangled Neon sequins, misc vellum, and the following:



6 comments:

  1. Great job with the vellum and I love the neon colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post? Sorry about that! I am happy I stumbled across it a couple of days late... Your use of vellum to tone down the yellow was a stroke of genius! You are also enabling me to NEED that hexagon circle die! Can you see me shaking my fist? Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post? Sorry about that! I am happy I stumbled across it a couple of days late... Your use of vellum to tone down the yellow was a stroke of genius! You are also enabling me to NEED that hexagon circle die! Can you see me shaking my fist? Love your card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tip about using vellum to tone down the brightness. Fun card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome card!! Love the neon and vellum together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLY COOLNESS!!!!!!!!! vellum + neon!!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes! that's amazing!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)