Friday, May 24, 2013

That's Ombre, Hombre

The other day I saw this post on the Faber-Castell site and I knew I needed to try it. I actually WON two sets of their Gelatos and I was looking for an excuse to use them. This worked.

Here's one of my cards, then I'll explain:


These are the Tropical colors, a set of four. I cut a piece of SU watercolor paper in half, masked the edges with washi tape (I might have a lot of that stuff), applied the Gelatos to the rectangle, then blended with a brush and some water. I worked light color to dark, blending where the colors met, and was careful not to make it too muddy. I went over the blue a few times to make the color more intense, as the water kinda thinned it out too much. Then I set it aside to dry.

Hmmm, I see now the colors are a little splotchy. Well, as Lydia would say, "It's ART!" :)

Here's the one I made the same as the first one, only with the 50s Diner Gelato colors:


I really like this color combination! Still splotchy, though.

For both of these, I stamped the sentiment in Versamark and embossed it with gold embossing powder. I colored wood veneer hearts with a Copic color close to the Gelato color on the far left. In real life, that second background is a green, not gray.

For my next trick, I tried true ombre, using the Blood Orange from the 50s Diner set plus Tangerine, Mango and Lemon. Very fruity. I also used a whole piece of the SU watercolor paper. This is what came out:


Do you notice anything, um, odd about this card? Is that sentiment UPSIDE DOWN?!?! Why yes, yes, it is. GAH! It took me hours to get a background to work the way I wanted it to work, and then after sitting ALL DAY to make sure it was dry, I had to stamp the dumb thing upside down. I even checked it. Maybe not twice, but I did look at it, and STILL. Sigh.

So my dream of having the dark color on the bottom and the stars floating up into the heavens FAILED, and I ended up with this, instead:


I guess in my world the stars fall down.

And you can't tell because of my crack photography skillz, but I colored those stars with my oldoldoldold Gold Leaf Pen. I thought it was all dried up, but no: IT LIVES!

In other news, be sure to stop back here tomorrow for the OWH Memorial Weekend blog hop!!!!!


My post will be live at 3:00 am ET (yes, 3:00 AM) as will all the other 150+ participants. The list of bloggers will be in one post on the OWH Stars and Stamps blog, and it will also be linked from the post in the graphic - YOU WILL FIND IT. Hope you can check it out this weekend!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU watercolor paper; SU gold EP; Gelatos: Tangerine and Mango; washi tape.




3 comments:

  1. I love them all!!
    Even the upside down ombre... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could laugh at that if I had never done anything like it. I think it turned out beautifully, in spite of its upsidedown-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man I need those gelatos! Gorgeous pieces. I think the "splotchy" is the watercolor effect, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)