Saturday, May 19, 2012

Marquee Card

For my next trick, I worked on the Marquee card. I made one last night based on a combination of Julie's instructions for a square card (with measurements) while simultaneously attempting to on-the-spot convert it to an A2 sized card. It was beautiful, and a resounding failure. It now graces the trash can.

I started over and followed the instructions that came with the class, because I know they would work. Next time, if there is a next time, I'll do the A2 version. WHAT was I thinking?!?!?

I still did it backwards, but I'll get to that in a sec. I also made it white, so it's impossible for me to photograph. Here's the card, then I'll explain:

See that black circle in the center? When you open the front flaps of the card, the "curtain" pulls back and reveals your message. Fun, huh?

Here's the card half-open:

and almost all the way open:

Here's the inside message:

I dusted off and used my SU Riveting set from forever ago. It's in my "don't you ever get rid of this one" drawer of stamp sets. I stamped it in Memento black and use SU Pink Passion (also retired) for the ring of color. It's stamped off once so it's not so BRIGHT, because, you know, it's GAH pink!

The last thing I did was color the center heart with a silver glitter pen.

The papers are from The Heaplet, and now they are almost gone. So happy! :)

About that "backwards" part. I made the card base white, and did the whole inside before I got a clue about the outside. I actually thought about it over night. Today I decided to do white-on-white for the outside, so I inked up my now-open Impression Obsession Greenery Cover-A-Card background stamp with Ranger Embossing ink and heat-embossed it with white EP. Here you can see the card right after I did the embossing:

The blue is a post-it-note I used to cover the already-finished innards of the card. The cool thing about the IO Cover-A-Card stamps is they are so BIG, this 5x5 card easily fit over it with room to spare! But I did have to protect the opening. Once I was done with the embossing, I took off the post-it.

White-on-white is cool, but boring, so I decided to add a spot of color:

This is a piece of hot pink Washi tape I stuck onto a piece of card stock and punched out with my SU Small Heart punch. Perfect.

So there it is -- a marquee card. I think this could work for either a wedding or engagement. I can now say I've made one, and that piece of bird paper is mostly gone, too. I win!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. very cool! and love the birdy paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever card, and I like the little pop of color on the front. I tried to make one of those a long time age and it was a major disaster - yours turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to pop over to your blog after reading your comment with your pic in the EH gallery. Thanks for the helpful hints! I haven't done this one, and I will surely learn from your experience. Your pop of pink was a brilliant idea. This card turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)