Friday, October 7, 2011

The BagBox

I made a box. Or maybe it's a bag. I dunno so I've dubbed it The BagBox. :) I had this idea, you see. It all started when I had to sit in traffic today - a FRIDAY, and not only is it FRIDAY, when traffic is supposed to be lighter than my other reeediculous 4 days of commuting, but it's the FRIDAY before a 3-DAY WEEKEND for the government, so WHY WERE ALL THOSE PEOPLE ON MY ROADS?!?!

So anyway, as I was sitting in traffic, I thought I needed to make a box. A box with handles. There's templates out there for boxes with handles, but they require cutting, and I'm not interested in mass-production cutting. Not.

So back to my idea. I wanted to make circular handles without cutting. I thought I'd use nested oval Nestabilities, and they'd be easy peasy. So tonight I grabbed a hefty piece of DSP from my Heaplet and cut and scrored the box, but I realized I'd need a big piece of paper to cut the handles, and I didn't have a big piece left. What to do ... what to do... I took the easy way out. Lookie:


The BagBox. It's really a box but it doesn't have a top, so it could be a bag. I think if you put a pretty piece of tissue paper in there it could hold almost anything small ... like a gift card ... or a jewelry box ... or candy.

The handles are just strips of the remaining DSP:

See the handles? I just attached them with brads to the front and back of the box, er ... BagBox. You can kinda see the brad under the ribbon.

Here's a peek at the inside of the BagBox:

Once you put a piece of tissue paper in there, you're all set.

And yes, I know I could make this with one of my bag dies, but everyone doesn't have the bag dies, so this was my effort to show you one can be made without the die. Plus, my dies have a decorative top edge, and I wanted it plain. I may still try one of these with a die, too, just to see how it goes.

And yes, again (you guys are so smart) this is just a variation of the 2-5-7-10 box we made at September's Stamp Camps, but I wanted mine to be narrower, so I adjusted the measurements* a bit.

Oh, and you may be muttering to yourself that I don't "do" 3D stuff, and you'd be correct. I think I'll still make a few of these, though, for my November show. They could work for Thanksgiving place setting treats. :) If they don't sell, I'll use them for my peeps. It's almost Buckeye season, after all. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

*Measurements:
Base piece 5 1/2 x 10 1/2"
Score at 1 1/2, 4 1/2, 6 and 9"
Score 1 1/2" on the long side to form the bottom
Handles are 1/2" wide and I think 8" long (play with it)

1 comment:

  1. Love the BagBox. It is Buckeye season, and I love those things. My sister brought some with her from Ohio and I plan on making some later this month. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)