Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Hybrid Card

Yes, hybrid. You read that correctly. I've purchased and used individual digital images in the past, and I don't consider that "hybrid". Nope. That's printing an image instead of stamping it. I still die-cut it, color it, layer it, etc. with real crafty tools. To be truly hybrid, I believe part of your card needs to be printed and applied to the paper card untouched. That's my take on it, anyway.

So a month or so back, SU had a special on My Digital Studio, and in a Good Demo moment I caved and bought it. This past weekend, I actually installed it and played a little. My efforts resulted in this digital card:

Fun, huh? Yes, it is soooooooooo cheating on my stamps. I was riddled with guilt. Then I thought I'd try to print the card. 25 hours later ... sigh... no luck. For a computer professional, I was pretty inept. I begged the Demo of all Demos and the Queen of Tutorials - Ms Patty Bennett - for assistance, and she came through! She is awesome!

Unfortunately, now that I knew HOW to print, I got a clue and realized that I'd made a Kraft card base (I know, I know, it's Crumb Cake now, but MY package is still Kraft, so I'm going with it), and printing the whole card would use about $3545 worth of ink. Not such a great plan.

Plan B hit me Monday night. I saved the image as a jpg, then cropped only the center part of the square, copied it into a word document, and printed THAT on Whisper White card stock. SUCCESS! Whoo-hoo! I then layered that digital part on Marina Mist and Basic Black and put it on the card front. Ergo: Hybrid. Lookie:


(Oh, look, I put it on upside down. ;/) The cool thing about this is I don't have (read: cannot find) that stamp set - Best Wishes and More, and I don't have that patterned paper. But I do NOW! Let's get a closer look at the details:

Okay, maybe it's not as crisp-looking as the digital version, but I still really, really like it. Hey, you know what? I think the writing on that paper is upside down and backwards, like mirrored. Could be... could be. I blame my screen capture program - it has attitude. But who cares, really? The whole point of this card is you CAN use a digital element, in my case to fill a gap in the stash, and still make it a real paper card with layers and RIBBON and all that good stuff.

I am so pleased with this, I declare it project #4 of 4 for this weekend's Stamp Camps. I think The Ladies will enjoy making something "not Valentine's" and "not pink or red". In my world of serving suggestions, this is the palate cleanser.

That also means I have the rest of the week to play play play. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'll admit I was a lot worried at the beginning of your post, but you came through for me and actually made a real card with card stock and layers - whew I feel relieved! Oh, and I didn't cave and buy the MDS on special, but thought about it for all of 30 seconds. Now please don't let me regret my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, unless I can make it in 10 minutes with macaroni, yarn, a paperplate and some random glitter it probably aint happening, so can a girl hire you to make a pretty card for those she loves on Vday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I can print like mad but I can't use stamps and scissors to save my life. :)
    Although, I'm happily cutting away with that dang Slice, so we'll see what happens with that...
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hybrid card, but your comments made me laugh myself silly!!!! This part in particular, "Oh, look, I put it on upside down. ;/" BWAHHAHHAHA!!! I love your blog so much. :)

    The original card was pretty, but a bit sterile, so I really love how you made it your own. Just gorgeous!!

    wv: cermet

    Cermet the Frog is my favorite muppet! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)