Thursday, September 3, 2009

Box It Up!

I got kitty a new toy this week, since all of her old ones are lost forever - under the couch, behind the entertainment unit (yes, I still have one ... leave me alone!), or buried in a closet somewhere. So it was time for a new one. I do not think there is enough cat nip in this one, though, as she did not roll on it much. It is refillable - like it will not be lost before it needs to be refilled....

ANYway, it kept her busy for a few moments while I played with one of my new SU dies - the Fancy Favor box. I told myself I do not NEED a box die because I do not make boxes. I am not a 3D girl at all. I used to make boxes for my Holiday craft shows, but I got tired of them not selling very well, and then carting them around and having to store them for a year, so I gave it up.

But I wanted to try this:

I took one of the SU wooden sheets and cut it with the favor box die. If I had only turned the wood sheet the right way, the score lines would have come out a little cleaner, but it was a fine first try.

I stuffed in a fancy piece of tissue paper from my stash, tied a piece of holiday twill around the box - done!

Please ignore the ragged corner - that's the result of the poor die-cutting job. I promise to do better next time.

Here is the same box die made out of a miscellaneous piece of 12x12 red card stock.

Here is how I attached the other end of the gold cord on the inside of the box - I just tied it to one of the brads!

And here's some fuzzy details of the tag. I punched the Modern Label punch from one of the window sheets and stamped the sentiment in StazOn. I used my paper piercer to punch the holes for the brads.

That's all I have for you today - some boxes. The old mojo is waning, again, but I have about 4 orders from SU still unpacked, so I am sure there is SOMEthing in there to inspire me. Soon. I hope.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. These are BRILLIANT!!! I can't believe the wood doesn't break! What do you mean the right way? And was it facing up or down?

    I LOVE the red one!!

    And S&M have that same little froggy kong and they love him! He's so soft!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM a 3-D girl, more that than a card girl. I want wood!

    You know what I mean. I really like that embossed piece you showed us earlier. The wood gives it such a nice texture and it almost looked like it had a patina- very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay all of the amazing wood stuffs aside....i'm freaking out about the little printed acetate tag! How cute is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i am semi-3D... (by which i mean, i make stuff via convoluted "wing it" ways since i am allergic to written instructions!) ...and i think you've done VERY well indeed! that red one is downright glorious with it's fancy-schmancy ornament and cool acrylic tag!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)