Friday, January 2, 2009

I Took A Verve Challenge

My Google Reader presented me with a post on Poetic Artistry that alerted me to a Verve challenge over at SCS. I mostly just look at SCS challenges, but every once in a while I like a sketch (or have the time to try one!), and today was one of those days... I liked it and I had time to play.

Let me just say that this was very much outside my comfort zone. I am not a load-em-up type person, except maybe in the layering department. This sketch had a lot of layers and also required the use of hardware. On top of all that, I wanted to make it SU Only, just because.

I started out with some Maine Blueberry DS paper, selected the Not Quite Navy and Old Olive coordinating card stock, and spent a while getting the layers on the rectangle pieces the right sizes.

For the round piece, I decided to use the patterns in the paper and I punched out several of them to layer on two Scallop Circles.

Then I raided my Antique Brass HPH and went to town! I started with the brad in the center of the round layer, added the little tab thingie on the top piece, and chose the oval frame for a sentiment. I also added three more brads to balance the nekkid, unadorned left side.

The sentiment is from the Cheers To You set; I inked just the Cheers word with the Not Quite Navy marker, stamped it on Very Vanilla, and punched it out with the Small Oval punch.

Lastly, I tied a piece of Old Olive ribbon (that skinny, special stuff that retired last year, I think) in the loop of the tab.

Finally, I decided the ribbon looked lonely and too small, so I added some more. I mean, since I was already loading up this card with stuff, why not add more ribbon?! I kinda like it. ;-)

One challenge down. Maybe I'll tackle my January Birthday cards next. Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Wow wow wow! These are fabulous!!! These would be perfect for your customer workshops. Great sketch and great use of SU! products.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)