Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Modified Sketch Challenge

So I had this idea I'd do one of the SCS Sketch Challenges. I saw a ton of really great submissions this past week, but being primarily a card-monger, and knowing a square card costs more to mail, I try to stay away from them. Oh, I do make some for sale, but not a lot of them.

Last week's SCS sketch challenge was a square card with a grid of squares. You can see it here, because what I am typing right now makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Square? Uh-uh. So I deviated a bit and put a smaller square on an A2 card, thusly:


Recipe: Stamps - Turtle (CHF), sentiment (Inky Antics); Paper - Wild Wasabi, Basic Gray, Whisper White, Bashful Blue, Certainly Celery DS paper (I think); Ink - Certainly Celery, Wild Wasabi, River Rock, Palette Black; Other - Vintage brads, Ticket Corner punch, dimensionals.

Did you notice: no ribbon!? Heaven knows I tried...I had the SU light blue striped grosgrain wrapped around that puppy, but it just seemed too much, so I took it off. The turtle is from Cornish Heritage Farms. He jumped into my shopping cart while I was buying that eagle and fancy background I used a while ago, you know, to help justify the shipping costs. He is really cute, and now that everything has been cleared out of my comfort zone of a work space and stashed somewhere else temporarily (NOT 'put away' ... yeah, like that would ever happen!), it only took me about 30 minutes to find him. Naturally, he (maybe she? I did paint eyelashes on the image ...) had to be paired with one of my yet-to-be-inked irreverent statements. It was this or "We are not amused." I thought I'd save that one for another time, though, and chose the one that goes better with the slooooowness of a turtle.


I also decided to use one of the photos I took of the sky last weekend. In between all the nasty rain clouds, I caught this cool circle of blue.

As soon as I'd taken this shot, I knew I needed to dig up the Cranes stamp I bought in an Asian moment last year. The image is from Auntie Amy's Embossing Arts. And the reason the photo corners are there is because I managed to catch the edges of several buildings in the photo, and I could either crop the bajeezus out of the photo and lose the symmetry (such as it is), or just do what I do best: cover it up with something else and make it look like that was the plan all along.

The deep, dark secret of this card is the photo of the sky is actually upside-down from how it was taken. I know, I know...who would have known if I had not said anything? But I have to share that I figured it out when I went to apply the photo corners and found the legs of the birds were pointing up - as if they were in a hard dive. I don't think cranes do kamikaze dives, meaning I had to turn the whole thing over, so it was extra good that I was covering up those corners. Nice save, huh? See? When you are used to messing up, you get reeeeeal good a fixing things! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Great cards ! Both of them. The turtle was is super cute..just perfect!

    Love that you turned a photo into a card..so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the turtle card- great colors and design.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)