Wednesday, March 19, 2008

From the Jaws of Defeat

When I get an idea, things do not always work out the first two or three or six times I attempt to make it happen on paper. I was working with the SU Sticky Letters the other day, trying to come up with an idea to use them that would work for my April classes. I figured if *I* could do it, then so could they.

I bought the bulk letters offerred to Demos, and it is a sheet of the lower-case letter 'h'. H is for, lesee... Heart, Happy, Hello, Hi, Ho-hum...lots of things. You can also cut off the top and make it an 'n', or turn that upside down and get a 'u'. I hacked at one or two of these when I realized if you cut off the top of the 'h', you also lose the serif, and the remaining letter looks, well, hacked. So I took the top part of the 'h' and stuck it to the leg of the new 'u', and it sorta looks passable.

I was also playing with the new Afternoon Tea DS papers - love 'em! Being lazy I tend to work with what is in front of me, so I grabbed a piece of the Guava patterned paper and stuck on the 'u'. Then I covered it with the new SU fine glitter, and then I sat there and looked at it. Then I set it aside and tried to ignore it. Two days later, as I was trying to make a birthday card for a friend of mine, I saw the glittered 'u' taunting me out of the corner of my eye, and I decided to try and use it. This is what came out:

Recipe (All products by Stampin' Up!): Stamps - Celebrate Everything; Paper - Soft Sky, Whisper White, Afternoon Tea DS paper; Ink - Choc Chip; Other - Sticky Letters, Choc Chip marker, paper piercer, Fine Cosmo glitter, Jumbo Eyelets, Groovy Guava double-stitched ribbon.

I think I got a little carried away. After I layered the two papers, I got the idea to do some faux stitches. Since the left side looked naked, I grabbed some Jumbo Eyelets and tied the Groovy Guava ribbon in them. Then I stopped so I could still lift the card. It is pretty fat.

So this is one of two cards my friend will be getting. I will also send her a funny one to try and keep her from dwelling on what might have been going through my mind when I was making this one. Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints, ya know?

2 comments:

  1. you are so funny, i love the story of how the card came to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMgosh... you keep me in stitches :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)